Saturday, March 20, 2010

Paris...

with Marion. Shoot me now.

I guess I should start at the beginning.  This morning was bright and early - I got up at 7, took a shower, ate, and was out the door by 7:30.  I got to the train station on time, waited a bit and hopped the 8:30 train to Paris.  The ride was nice and I enjoyed my music while reading management.  I'm hoping I can get the next four chapters read in the next two days...

So I arrived fifteen minutes late, but that just meant 10:15.  Marion brought me pain chocolat, which was very good, and we headed to the hotel for me to drop off my things.  It's a nice hotel, super close to the Bastille.  We then hopped the bus to the Eiffel Tower.  We went up to the second floor (about halfway) and I got a lot of cool pictures.  You could see everything, and I even saw the original Lady Liberty.

Then we met Rogier and Annie for coffee and chocolate at a little cafe nearby and we talked for a while.  Rogier is some cousin twice removed or something.  His cousin is Eric, but they were brought up together and I'll talk more about Eric later. 

We tried to go to the Invalides Church, which is where Napoleon is buried, but it closed as we walked up the steps.  The building was cool though.  Nearby was a shopping district, St. Germain, and we wandered around for a bit.  There were some interesting things.

We crossed over the bridge and then went to Notre Dame, which was really cool. I don't remember why it's so famous, but it is, and now I've seen it. We happened to be there during one of their services, and the choir was incredible.

We then walked back to the hotel, where Eric and his wife Renee met us to take us for dinner.  It was a "true French" restaurant, and was very good, named Bofinger Brasserie.  I had the most amazing meal ever.  Roasted duck with gravy and new potatoes, followed up by creme brulee.  I don't remember ever having duck, but it was perfect - light, tender, and delicious.  Of course I had to get creme brulee for dessert, and before I ate, I dedicated it to Mom.  I'm not sure if the sweetness got to you from 4226 miles away, but it was also scrumptious.

Dinner lasted for nearly three hours - we had a good time talking - and then we came back to the hotel.  Now it's time for homework. Tomorrow we are going to Arc du Triomphe, then Avenue de Champs-Elysees before meeting Eric and Renee and some more family at the Louvre.  It's weird.  Here they pronounce the "re" at the end... Maybe then Montmartre, which we'll do Sunday if we don't get to it tomorrow.

Anyways. Should be interesting, if not fun. Hopefully both. 

Goodnight, world.

No comments:

Post a Comment