First off, ONE HUNDRED POSTS!?!?! Sheesh. Makes me realize how long I've been here - and how little time I have left (hopefully).
Today I went on a long run, found some closer grocery stores, got some weird looks for running, and did lots and lots of homework for my three tests, project and speech due this week.
In between all this fun, I was checking email and news and blogs and whatnot and I seemed to run across the volcano issue a lot. Anyways. This volcano Eyjafjallajökull-Fimmvörduháls (yes, it does look like someone threw up on a keyboard, and no, I can't say it) in Iceland started erupting a couple of months ago, but a great big ash cloud exploded on Thursday, canceling all flights in all the different countries. You know all this. But the thing is, IT'S STILL ERUPTING.
They say that it may keep erupting for up to TWO YEARS. Of course, they've cleared some flights, but most international flights out of Brussels (to the US) are canceled (though the ones coming here are fine...) and London has been and will be closed for a WEEK. London. The big international airports. The little ones. All of them. The airlines are losing over $200 million A DAY. Some airports have reopened, but not very many, and not very many for long-distance flights. I don't know how they're going to get everyone home and I hope they have my flight and don't bump me for someone who was supposed to be back in the States yesterday.
The biggest problem is that they don't know when it'll be over. The glacier causes more ash than normal volcanoes produce, and it's a different, more dangerous type of ash.
But we made plans if we can't fly home. Some have friends and relatives in London/Germany/Spain/Italy and will kick it with them until the skies are clear enough. Some decided Africa seems like a cool place and will go to Egypt. I personally wouldn't mind heading over to Israel on a Mediterranean Cruise. Or maybe do the Greek Islands. But the best thing, I think (though all these are pretty cool) would be to take the train to London to take the trans-Atlantic cruise that leaves May 15.. It's six days and we'd be able to actually do something with our summers.
Which leads me to another potential problem this stupid volcano could cause: A lot of people have interviews and internships and jobs and things that start the week we get back. One friend (who was majorly screwed because he couldn't go to Edinburgh) would be even more upset because his internship starts May 10th and he can't graduate without it. So many people wouldn't have jobs this summer and so many more would miss other opportunities.
Basically this volcano sucks. Especially if it erupts any more. A lot of people have had "allergies" due to the ash, which we can't really see and don't notice because the past week has been the first week of sun all semester. Oh, and today was the first day it was actually warm (as in you don't need a jacket).
So. Volcano, please stop. It's finally sunny in Brussels. I'm only here for two more weeks. This week has too many tests. And now it's time for bed. Or at least a movie to fall asleep to.
Goodnight, world.
Sounds like a big day. Rest up and all will be fine by April 30. What does Continental promise to do?
ReplyDelete