Got up reasonable time, read the rest of my marketing, had lunch, went to class, talked to some people, and went to dinner at Gaubert's (my marketing professor).
Today was the last lecture for marketing - our test is Thursday and our last class is Tuesday, when we present our group projects. It's been a fun class and I really enjoyed having Gaubert as a teacher. And I really liked having the small class.
During the first half of the semester, Mr. Gaubert has had groups of people come over for dinner. I'd been waiting to go until he made some real cajun food (he's from Louisiana). So tonight he made red beans and rice - delicious! We also had a fantastic salad and some super spicy shrimp. It was a lot of fun and I talked with some guys that I hadn't talked to yet. They're all good friends and travel everywhere constantly. Kristen went with me, too. She had gone before, but she came because I was the only girl otherwise.
Then I came back and worked on my speech a little bit. Last speech the two of us had the "best organization" and "intriguing" ways of presenting our speeches. As in, he told us we did very well. So we wanted clarification on our next speech, because we both ABHOR outlines.
I have never successfully written an outline for my own work in my entire life. You can ask Mr. Wright, my creative writing teacher, with whom I had this argument and proved I was much better at writing the story and then the outline. Just let me write. My brain takes care of it. I have trouble stopping it in the middle and writing down the middle steps. It just happens.
Anyways, we have to write an outline for our speech, which is tomorrow afternoon. I wanted some help, so I emailed it to him. He sent them back with corrections.... Corrections that read:
Whenever possible use signposting words and terms like this to make your message abundantly clear to the audience. This tells them that ethnocentrism doesn’t just inform part of your speech, it is central to it.
where he added, "Today I will be discussing..."
And:
It may seem redundant to beat the audience over the head and repeatedly telling them where you are going with the speech, but writing a speech is not like writing a paper. You have to hold the audience by the hand.
Would YOU like to hear a speech like that? Please, shoot me now. I'm pretty sure it will be one of my worst speeches just because I'm going to sound like I'm treating the audience like they're all two, which they're not, and it will be boring and annoying and awful....
At least it probably would be if I didn't manage to salvage some of it and correlate ethnocentrism to the MonkeySphere. (Click to find out more.) Should be fun. Hopefully it will be fun.
Anyways, time for bed. Have to work on speech some more, go to the grocery store, study for marketing and basically be productive. Oh, and plan UK trip. Decided that I'm going to Birmingham so I can see Stratford-on-Avon, Tolkien's home, and CADBURY WORLD.... Where I'm going to buy as many eggs as I can afford. =]
Goodnight, world.
Goodnight, world.
I don't know why you would include "today I will be discussing..." for Pete's sake, just discuss. I don't know who Pete is and isn't sake a Japanese alcholic drink?
ReplyDelete