Today was fun. I've only been up since 4AM or so... I got a fair amount done. Read my marketing, finished my paper, packed for this weekend, went to the grocery store, made a massive amount of shepard's pie, and socialized for a long time.
Tomorrow, we leave for Venice. Megan is sick so it will only be James and me. We're working on hostel cancellations and everything right now. We've heard variations from "five days won't be enough" to "perfect" to "holy cow, that's way too long", but we'll do what we do and see what happens.
Today I went to the grocery store. Going about noontime was not a good idea. Everyone gets out of school and goes to lunch, so the metro and trams and everything are packed. I did have a delicious panini hamburger. (Different from the last one because it had cheese and a different bread. I prefer the "sandwich.")
So I went to the store with my list. Last time I made a list, I was smart and translated it all into French before going. This time I didn't... I walked up to the "meat counter" and it's really just a window with all the different meats laid out and prices shown. Next to the window is a sheet with all the different products on it, and you fill it out. Now the items in the window had names, but I couldn't match the name of what looked like ground beef to a name on the paper. I walked over to the butcher and asked her if she spoke English.
I got a resounding, "NO."
Hokay. So I don't know how to read this paper, and she doesn't speak English.
"Ground beef?"
"No."
So what am I going to do? Huh. Oh, right. "Hamburger?"
She says something in French and makes a grinding motion. I nod. "Beof."
She nods. "How much?"
"One and a half kilos." I hold up fingers.
She looks confused.
I write it down. She gapes. I nod. She puts it in a box for me.
Turns out that was the hardest thing. Even found the flake potatoes. I may have boiled over the milk and water when making it, but everything turned out okay and the huge pan and seven individual dishes were gone between the ten of us. Needless to say, dinner was good and everyone got to socialize for a long time. We're going to make it a regular thing, which I'm looking forward to.
Time for bed. This weekend should be interesting and fun. Heads up now that I may or may not have internet. Hopefully I will. I should in the hostel. But you never know.
Goodnight, world.
We hope you have a good time and stay safe.
ReplyDelete