4:30?
Ho, lord. I really, really hope that this is the right train... Once again, It isn't clear. But this time I came prepared with my computer and some pre-loaded articles so I could just sit and read. Of course, I also have those FABULOUS Kindle books. There is no internet on these little inter-regional trains, but there will be from Antwerp to Amsterdam. The people sitting on the train with me do say that this train is going to Antwerp, but I don't think it's the one I have a ticket for... Hopefully that doesn't matter. Huh. I don't know what will happen if it is wrong. I guess we'll find out if it comes up.
Oh, as a post script to my trip to Koln... I had chestnuts, which were very good, in "City Shopping' but I did't actually know how to eat them.... Do you eat the shells or not?
And I just realized I didn't bring batteries. Whoops. I'm sure Inge will have some. Wish me luck because I might just kill someone on this trip. It should be interesting and hopefully not too bad. I'll let you know. It's 4:30 now, my train leaves Antwerp at 5:30, and my flight leaves Amsterdam at 8:50... Hopefully I make them all and arrive in Zurich on time tonight at 10:15.
6:00
Oh, my, God. My computer is dying and there are no outlets available (one on the whole train). I don't even know how I made it onto the train... Arrived at Antwerp after having to change at a sketch station at 5:15, and then had to wait in a line and then the guy didn't like my reservation number, and then I sprinted in my 4 inch heels with a backpack and rolly suitcase down three or four flights of stairs and barely made it to the train. Then I couldn't find my seat and walked up and down with all my stuff about four times, finally talking to an attendant to help me, and I got here. Luckily I'm next to the bar, which is why I finally just got a plug (after waiting for two people)... I think I'm finally calm. I want to go home.
7:00
Wow. I am literally sitting in the middle of the floor in Amsterdam-Schiphol Station to charge my computer. I know that I was in the middle of talking to some of you when I arrived, and I'm sorry I cut short. But I'm here for almost another 2 hours before my flight leaves, so I'm back. I am already tired of this trip and I swear I will never travel alone again. I can't do it. I cry, I shake, I can't breathe, and only sometimes are people nice enough to help. =/ But I do think this is my last trip solo. Next week I'm going to Venice with Megan and the week after that I'm going to Madrid for a week with Sam, Kristen, and Kristin. Then Bruge for a day with the whole group, but then a free weekend. Then I'm going to the UK with James for a week, and then I'm free (for now) for three weekends. Then Gabe is here for 10 days (YAY!!!!) And we may or may not (most likely we are) going to Israel for 4 days. And then I'm going to Stockholm (have to find someone to come with) and then my last weekend in Brussels and then I come home on that following Friday. Sheesh. But enough of plans...
I'm sitting in Schiphol Station, and it has trains, planes, buses, vans, metros, and every possible transportation (except by boat, I think). It's literally a mall in here. Stores, food courts, a "promenade" with bars. It's incredible. The biggest deal here (there are literally four LED signs and arrows and posters and stuff) is the 24 hour Burger King. The fries do smell delicious, and I might just get dinner there. I'm not sure. I am thankful for the internet right now, because I'm talking to my amazing parents and texting Gabe. =]
12:26
Well, I don't have internet, as far as I can tell, so I'll post this whenever I can.
I made it to Zurich. Marion picked me up at the airport and we took the train and the tram to the apartment. I had to wait forever for my checked luggage (They made me do it.) And then we came back. I had some tasty toast with speculoos and nutella and some "jumping water". I had forgotten that you couldn't take liquids on planes...
Oh, yeah. So I was in the airport and it was 8 - my flight left at 8:50. I went to security, got sent to another one and then had to go through 3 times - once to start with, again for shoes and belt, and a third time because I had a bottle of water in my bag. And then I looked at the board with departures. It was 8:15/8:20 by this point, and my flight said "Gate closing". Well, I panicked. Of course my gate was the last one. I literally sprinted down the halls of the airport and arrived just in time. There were a couple of people behind me, and everything turned out fine.
You already heard about how I got to the apartment, so I won't repeat myself. We all three talked for a bit and then it was time for bed. I am sharing a room with Marion and Inge, of course, is in her own room. Nigel seems to be out of the picture for now. He's not here and not coming. So basically I'm screwed. But I leave in 65 hours... Oh, gosh. I'm not so happy I calculated that out anymore. Hopefully I will have fun and we'll see what happens.
Oh. And as a side note, how the hell am I losing weight? I stepped on the scale here and have lost 5 pounds so far. I swear I eat so much candy and chocolate and pasta and bread, I don't know how it's happened. Plus the fact that I've been having beer and Bailey's (did I tell you I found some on sale?) at least a couple times a week... I don't know. But I like it. I have a feeling it's more a loss of muscle and not so much fat, but I don't know, because I do walk a fair amount. It's a couple blocks pretty much everywhere except for class, and even then I walk up and down three flights of stairs (most of the time). I don't know. Maybe it's being in Europe and smelling Brussels...
I feel like I've channeled Sam a lot today. I noticed myself picking up her expressions and... augh. What's the word? The way she talks. Maybe it's similar to the way I talk, so I just pick up on it, but, like my comment about the smells of Brussels, I don't think I would have noticed if not for her.
Speaking of Sam, I came up with a new idea last night and it's gotten a round of approval so far. (I'm going to need your help, though.) I'm going to make dinner for a big group every Wednesday night. Yesterday I made chicken soup, next week I'll probably make shepard's pie, but the whole premise is that I cook, but someone else buys all the ingredients. And either everyone will chip in each week, or someone will go to the grocery store with me to pay for it. I thought it sounded good, because then we're all guaranteed at least one good meal each week and because I really do enjoy cooking. The costs will be split so no one will be feeding everyone every week, either. So what do I need your help for? I need you to send me recipes that are (relatively) easy to make that will feed a lot. I'm always up for a challenge, and if you don't know the full recipe, I'll wing it. Just let me know your ideas so we can have a variety. =]
And now I think it's time for bed.
Goodnight, world.
I don't know if you want my pressure cooker recipes. Rice is always good - how about rice, fresh spring peas (don't forget to take the string off the back) and whole chicken.
ReplyDeleteWe don't have a pressure cooker, but thanks. Other recipes would be nice. =]
ReplyDelete