I'm sitting on the train, heart pounding, stomach coiled up in knots. It's a smooth ride but getting here wasn't. I left the apartment at 1:15, finally making it to the station at 2:10 - just in time for my train to leave at 2:30... And I hadn't gotten my ticket yet. The metro was late, the tram was spooky, and I had four different languages yelled at me - French, German, Spanish and English. You would think I would at least understand Spanish or English, but I was/am so stressed, I couldn't make my mouth speak. But I'm here now. I feel like a dumb American.
And so much for not bringing my laptop... there's wifi on the trains here. And of course I didn't actually bring paper, so this is on a page from my planner. Well, I guess now I know for next time.
The train feels slow, but I guess it's just as fast (faster?) than a car because we're next to a highway and passing them quickly. It's smooth and quiet and relatively comfortable (compared to planes and vans and metros and other public transportation). I felt a little awkward, as I didn't, and still don't, know train etiquette. Also, I think people were a lot more friendly when my dad traveled or when I was younger, or something. Mostly people just yell at me if I did something wrong or not say anything at all if I didn't. Haven't gotten much help, either. I guess I can't pull of that distressed and innocent child look anymore.
Anyways, boarded the train, had no clue where I had to sit/could sit, picked a spot, sat, and a lady asks me something in French and pointing at her ticket and me and the seat... Dumbfounded (some people had just told me I could sit anywhere, as long as I was in the right class), I stuttered, "English?" and she says I'm in her seat. Whoops. I gape and she says it's fine, am I in 52? Luck would have it that I was, and she sat next to me without making me move.
The scenery outside is pretty and they just stamped my ticket (which I also did not know they did). Anyways, I have a two hour trip - write more tonite. Oh. And I hope that baby shuts up.
You are doing more traveling in europe than i did and having different experiences. I think for the better and much more adventuresome.
ReplyDeleteSo what is good train etiquette?
ReplyDeleteI only traveled by train once. From Zurich to Paris and I slept most of the way. I do remember having trouble figuring out which train station to get off.
ReplyDelete