Monday, January 25, 2010

The things I've learned...

I've learned a couple of things on this trip...

-Hotels and museums have English-speaking people.
-Traveling alone sucks.
-Having a bewildered look on your face doesn't mean people know you don't understand. They will keep talking to you.
-Pay attention to train stops/stations and their names.
-Everyone speaks a little English.
-Hotels give you free maps - everywhere else you have to pay for them.
-Wearing a backpack gets you strange looks OR a helping hand.
-Sperrys are good to walk in, but don't forget toe warmers... (It actually wasn't that bad.)
-It doesn't matter what clothes you bring because your jeans, scarf and jacket don't change so no one knows what you're wearing anyways.
-Crying when it's snowing only makes you colder.
-Sidewalks and roads look identical, so stay with the crowd.
-Don't be too nice or you won't get your turn.  (Especially in lines for food.)
-Take a hat.
-Everything is closed in the winter and on Sundays.
-Know that the English spelling can differ wildy from German/French or whatever other language you may encounter. (I.e. Cologne/Koln/Koeln)
-You're out of luck if you have a PC because everyone here uses a Mac.

(Thankfully the last one hasn't been a problem, and hopefully it won't be.)

Goodnight, world.

4 comments:

  1. One of your best posts. I imagined a lot of funny things and things that you will be able to tell stories about. A lot of memories. We're proud of you and what you are doing and experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have to ask - which one's your favorite?

    Also, I think I forgot to mention I had roasted chestnuts in the city shopping area... They were good, but what's the proper way to eat them? With or without the shell?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just remember buying them in the cone wrapper and how warm they are when it was cold. I think the best one is where they keep talking when you have no idea what they are saying and keep trying to explain that you don't understand what they are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. -"Having a bewildered look on your face doesn't mean people know you don't understand. They will keep talking to you." I loled

    ReplyDelete