Wednesday, January 27, 2010

French, Tests and Freezing Cold

First off, the weather here is FREEZING. Literally less than zero. (At least in terms of Celsius.)

So today, I woke up, made breakfast, and studied.  It's weird here because I end up going to bed at 11/12/1 every night, but pretty much wake up between 745 and 830 every morning. I don't think it's because it's light, either, because it's not until 845/9 at the earliest. I mean, it's not pitch black, but the streetlights are on and people have their headlights on at least until 930. But I digress (whoo, I've always wanted to say that...)...

I studied for marketing then went to my French class. The numbers dwindle by the day.  But for those not there, they missed a fun class because Brendan asked our teacher how to ask, "Do you want to have sex [with me]?" and then, whenever the teacher asked him to answer, he would instead ask to have sex.  It was hysterical, and even more so because our teacher is a 60-something old French man who is just a touch smelly... Most of the time, he said, "No, I'm not gay," but once or twice it was a little more crude. 

Afterwards was lunch, then marketing.  The test wasn't bad, but I'll see when we get results next week.  General consensus was that no one knew what to expect and we all feel pretty much the same about it.

Then I chilled for a while, finished packing my boxes and decided that I would make chicken noodle soup tomorrow for everyone.  How, I'm not really sure. According to several internet recipes, you can boil a chicken for two hours with veggies and that would work, or you can bake the chicken, sautee the veggies, then put everything together, which my dad claims is the only thing that would work.  I'm all for easy, and I think it would be difficult to mess up chicken soup, so I'm going to throw everything in a pot and see what happens.  I'll let you know tomorrow.

So, about a quarter til 5, I tell my roommates I'm going to the post office to mail my boxes and the grocery store for the soup.  I walk down to the subway, grab a waffle (the best in town are in my metro stop) and catch the tram.  Get off at the stop, walk 4 blocks in the freezing cold, get to the doors just at 5PM, the doors slide open, I start to walk forward, a lady motions for me to step back, so I do, and she closes and locks the door in my face.  Literally in my face.  I could see 4 people standing in line around the corner from the glass doors.  I was not happy.  So I walked back, said screw it to the grocery store and will go tomorrow.

So now I need to back up a little and say that Sarah and Kristin had come over after marketing, and that Brinley has been staying with us for the past two nights because she's been sick.  Actually, I don't know why she's here, but she's slept here and she's sick and something about her apartment, but I don't know what.  Anyways.  Sam, Kristin and Sarah wanted to go get mussels, and Marion had taken me to this good little restaurant (where I had the vol-au-vent) so I went with and Kristen tagged along.  Tip: don't get Belgian sausages.  They're not very good. But I did have a very tasty beer, Duchess of something that was made from cloves. 

Then we walked to Grand Plac, found an express grocery store and everyone bought ice cream (cookies, chocolate, coffee, and straciatella for Sam, Sarah, Kristen and Kristin, respectively) and then we went and tasted chocolates in all the chocolate shops.  They were very good samples.

We returned, watched the last two episodes of Jersey Shore, talked a bit, tasted Sam's wine, I had my cherry beer (not again) and here we are now.  All in all a pretty good day.  We'll see about the mail and the soup tomorrow. Only things on the schedule.

Goodnight world.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, boil the chicken but don't put the noodles in til later. Maybe you can introduce cherry beer in the US. I don't know if it will be as good as rolling rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bring or send you chocolate, apple, pineapple, peach or raspberry. (Mango's actually really really good, but I don't think it would be nice to Mom...) In fact, I found a cheap beer place last night where you can make your own 6-pack, so look forward to that in the next package or something. =P

    It's so weird. I can buy alcohol here, np. Everyone else is saying "Oh, I have to way X months before I can drink in the states when I get back," and I'm thinking, "Great. Two years." It's nice to have a glass of wine or a beer or something. Not every day/night, but when we feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think i will pass on the beer. The shipping cost will not be worth it since I am not a beer connoisseur.

    ReplyDelete