Whew. I don't know if my feet will ever forgive me. Or my hands.. .which are oddly stiff. Ok, too hard to write - going to shower and then write entry.
5:45
Ok. That was awkward. There were guys watching when I came out of the shower... Well, they were on their laptops, but sitting facing the bathroom door.
Anyhoo. Today I got up at 8 because my roommate was leaving. Then I walked down (up?) to Dom - the big Gothic cathedral. I took the challenge and walked up over 500 steps in a tiny circular stairwell to get to the top. The view was worth it. I then walked down to the zoo to take a cable car across the Rhine, stopping for hot chocolate at the sculpture park, which was pretty cool. It took about 30-45 minutes, walking along the river. It was another cold and blustery day. And the cable cars were closed. For the winter. Like everything else here. I really wanted to take a riverboat cruise, as well. But those are closed, too. So I walked back and went to the chocolate museum. It was really cool, very tasty and pretty interesting.
Oh, and for those who make fun - some guy sold his Kinder toy collection in 2007 of almost 500 toys for over $50,000. So there.
Then I walked around and ended up in "City Shopping". Lots of recognizable names, lots of Micky D's, some BK, Pizza Hut and Dunkin' Donuts, too. They love McDonald's here. That and Starbucks. I can't tell you how many I've seen.
So today: walked to church, up (and down) 500+ steps, and over six hours of walking. I don't feel fat anymore and no wonder my feet hurt. I'm going out for dinner and then call it a night. I have this gnawing feeling in my stomach again and it's because I'm scared. Again. Dammit. Tomorrow is Dusseldorf (change of plans...) and home. I really wish I was going home, home. Not just Belgium. But I'll make it.
Goodnight, world.
Update: 8PM
Just to clarify. I never, ever, EVER want to do this again in my life. I'm not talking about traveling. I"m talking about traveling alone. I swear, I can't do it. I can't tell you how many times in the past day and a half since I left Brussels I have started bawling because it's scary and lonely and nerve-wracking. Even if someone I absolutely detested was here, it would be better than this. No more solo trips. Not happening. Now, to see if I can sleep better tonite than I did last night...
Goodnight, world.
Wish I was there to see these things with you. Mom is right you are brave.
ReplyDeleteI don't feel brave. I feel like I was being stupid. I didn't even consider that doing it by myself was "different" for lack of a better term. I didn't think anything of it. I got back and everyone's "Oh, you're so brave, I could never do it." But I didn't even think about it, so I really think it's more just stupidity that made me do it....
ReplyDeleteIt was fun, and it was an experience. And one that I'd only like to repeat with someone. But I did enjoy myself in retrospect.
The world is big and there are a lot of places to see. You now know the difference between Chile, US, and Belgium. Can you imagine the difference now between New Zealand and the Fiji Islands?
ReplyDeleteI'm so proud of you. You're as strong as I'd like to be.
ReplyDelete