Monday, January 25, 2010

Friday night - 5:15, 7, and 8:30

Part I - 5:15
Well, it's 5:15, I'm in my room at the hostel, and I already don't like it.  It was a nice, long walk from the train station.  Not too, too bad, but cold and windy.  I don't know what I was expecting, but definitely not this.  It's rather dingy and dark... I miss my computer.  A lot.  I miss not being in contact with people.  But in 48 hours I'll be on my way home. 

I guess I should update my train story - there was a howling baby on board.  Literally shrieking.  It got to be the worst about 15 minutes before our arrival, and people were offering chocolate and juice and lullabys to shut it up.  I made a comment to my seatmate that it wasn't a happy baby.  Then we started talking.  She was really nice, from Italy and traveling to meet her husband in Eastern Germany. 

It's amazing to me how I only traveled 2 hours and, by doing so, have entered another country with a completely different language.  Everyone here seems to speak English, but it's still weird.

I don't know what I'm doing here and I really wish someone was with me.  But I'll have fun and see what I can, and do what I want.  Off to explore, I think.

Part II - 7:00
Well, exploring consisted of going and finding dinner.  There are a ton of hotels and restaurants near the hostel I am staying at.  Everything is really pretty at night - all lit up and reflecting on the Rhine.  I ended up at a fancyish place - at least they had candles on all the tables.  I ordered Bratwurst - a true local dish.  It came with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut.  Though much better than their American counterparts, it was still horrific.  I did manage to eat most of it with the help of a cola-bier, which was interesting but good.  Very light and slightly sweet.  I returned to the hostel for the night and look forward to exploring tomorrow.  Oh, and I also came back to a roommate, but we haven't spoken yet...

Part III - 8:30
Ice cream fixes everything.  And talking to the people you love most in this world <3 You know who you are.

Anyways, traveling by yourself SUCKS.  It's scary and lonely and pretty much not fun.  But I just finished one of those itty-bitty Ben and Jerry's tubs (Chunky Monkey in honor of my bf's favorite flavor - banana pudding) and talking to the aforementioned awesome people.  Tomorrow is a new day, and I hope to go to Dusseldorf.  Then on Sunday I will take a ride down the Rhine and explore Cologne.  Of course, this may change, but we'll see.  Goodnight world.  

3 comments:

  1. I thought that you would like the bratwurst but can understand that ice cream will fix everything. I remember though how sick i got from the local un-pasteurized ice cream in nepal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure. I think I'd have to try it again... I mean, I managed to eat a serving of sauerkraut, so you think I'd like the bratwurst. =P

    And thanks =P Now you've got me worried. But I think Europe is a little bit more developed than Nepal. I'll keep it in mind when and if I happen to travel there. I would never have thought about the ice cream being bad - just yogurt and milk. (The yogurt here is awful, btw. They don't put preservatives in it or something...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I blamed it on the un-pasteurized ice cream, it may have been from the protein (protein=roach parts) in the fried rice but I never got sick with the high protein fried rice. I think they pasteurize ice cream in most developed countries.

    ReplyDelete