We woke up and went to campus, where we had lunch at one of the canteens. It was mediocre, but good if you consider that it was college campus cafeteria food. Then we went over to the sociology building and I talked to an awesome professor who is going to help me get my classes. He's the "token American" and is from Chattanooga! He was really helpful and nice. Hopefully I'll get my classes.
In the Chinatown mall
Then we headed over to Chinatown, which was interesting. It was all decorated for the Chinese New Year in red and gold. It was really pretty. They had a lot of cool shops - mostly selling cell phones and cameras. My Blackberry Torch is worth more than a thousand dollars here. Conversely, they have camera lenses for really cheap. I think I might have to get one before I leave.
We didn't spend much time in Chinatown since it seems like a better place for Shreyas and Gabe to visit together. Gabe and I went to the mall and had lunch (he had ramen and I had wonton noodle soup) and then participated in a true Singapore tradition - going to the movies. We saw Sherlock Holmes, which was fantastic. The weird things are as follows:
They assign seating like at sporting events or fancy plays and stuff.
Their advertisements were nearly all directed towards women or older men.
Popcorn is super expensive and comes in two flavors: salty and sweet.
We hit up the grocery store and then headed back to the apartment. We needed bicycles, so we went over to Boon Lay shopping center and got two red bikes and locks and rode them back before dinner. They're not bad, but not super fancy. I think it's the first time I've ever had a brand-new bike. I like my bike back home more; cobbled together from the best bits of other bicycles. =]
Gabe went to dinner when we got back and I had a lovely conversation with several people from home. I miss everyone, but I'm excited to be here and definitely having fun. Now it's time for bed. Orientation tomorrow and something else... I guess I'll remember when we do it.
Goodnight-la.
Do we get to see a picture of your bikes and your helmets?
ReplyDeleteDo we get to see a picture of your bikes and your helmets?
ReplyDelete