Friday, January 8, 2010

The things you see

I guess the first thing to say is that I'm on my way to Brussels, Belgium... and hello!

I started studying at Clemson this past fall (2009) as a chemistry major. Having a father who has been an entrepreneur his entire life, I thought it worthwhile to also get a minor in business so I could handle things should I ever decide to follow in his footsteps. Also being in love with traveling and languages, I knew that I would study abroad. When I attended an information session and they told me I could do both at once, I jumped at the opportunity. So now I'm sitting at Newark International Airport, waiting to board the plane that will take me to Belgium, where I will spend the next four months of my life.

I think it would be interesting to note (correct me if I'm wrong - in fact, I welcome your comments, criticisms and critiques as both a blogger and a person) that I took five years of Spanish, traveled for a month in Chile before my junior year, took a semester of German, was born in Switzerland, and have a boyfriend from Brazil who has helped me learn Portuguese both through immersion and self-teaching.... and am going to a French-speaking country. Many times I have been told that my accent is atrocious, and, if nothing else, I hope to adopt the proper nasally accent that afflicts every French-speaking man, woman and child. Really, it's not that bad... It just tickles my nose an awful lot and annoys me because I can't do it well. We shall see how I do.

As to what this post's title is actually about... The curiosities you see in airports.

First off - Why on earth would you wear top-model clothing to the airport? I swear one of the women I passed today was wearing 6 inch heels... Peep-toe, knee-high boots to be exact. Along with leggings and a huge over-sized sweater falling off her shoulders artistically kept in place by one of the most hideous belts I have ever seen. Really? Or the woman on my first flight who had her hair done so tightly I think it was affecting her judgement... Why else would you wear 4 inch stilletto boots with a purple tweed miniskirt shorter than Austin Power's mini-me to fly on an airplane? Not to mention the full beauty routine that took place, including eye-brown shaping and lip waxing? (No, I'm not making this up.)

Secondly - A pigeon. Walking around in Newark International. I wouldn't have noticed unless my roomie (who also has a blog... will link when she creates hers) jabbed me and pointed. It was a very brave bird... Not sure where it ended up, but pretty impressed it was in the airport and got within a foot or two of us.

Next - A group of Hasidic Jews. A very interesting culture, I guess it really isn't a curiousity for the airport, but for life. Being Jewish myself, though Reform, I am intrigued by the strictness and rules they follow. They spoke mostly Hebrew, and I would have liked to talk to them, but I didn't have the sand to speak to them.

All in all, the rest of the trip (at least in the states) has been pretty normal. Run-of-the mill, average. Now to board the plane and see what happens abroad. My roomie and I are on the same flight and sit here next to each other, fully appreciating the well-spent $8 for internet. (She's awesome and we met in German last semester. Watch for her blog, since she's in this class, too.)

Toodle-oo for now, wish me a safe trip. =]

2 comments:

  1. We are proud of all that you have accomplished. I would have liked a picture of the lady with the 6" heels. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freaking love your sass and descriptions. Keep it up please <3

    ReplyDelete