Today I arrived at 8 AM Brussels-time in the Brussels Airport. Having left at 6:30 Eastern-time (EST) the previous night, it was basically arriving at 2 AM EST to the bright, cold landscape of Europe. I squealed at the sight of snow; Brandon laughed at me. It's gorgeous and bright and clean and I've never really experienced it.... Well, that all changed today.
The taxi driver took six of us to our apartments - two sets of two and two individuals, for four stops. I think we finally got to our apartment at 10... After circles and swerves and slipping and honking, backing up 100 meters of road before coasting backwards around the corner it led to and confusing us, as there was so much luggage that there was no way he could see out his back window. Finally here, our apartment is HUGE! (though freezing - wall-mounted space heaters in every room don't warm up enough to counter below-freezing temperatures, thin glass, and the sheer volume of air in 12 foot high rooms) Pictures to come, of course. Three full-sized bedrooms with double beds each, a large kitchen with table for six, a dining room, a living room, two storage rooms and two "bathrooms" - one with a toilet and a sink and the other with two sinks and a tub. Why the designer/architect thought this was a good idea is beyond me. But there were great views of the avenue, covered in snow from nearly every room. =]
So when I got to the apartment, Marion was waiting for me there... We had a little trouble with the elevator (we're on the third floor and it's as old as the building, so couple hundred years?) But we soon got in, kindof unpacked, and Kristen and Marion and I went to lunch. Would you believe the prices? I think not. Keep in mind 1 euro is about $1.50... A lunch entree was average of 14-16 euros! Not to mention the fact that every drink is about 3 euros and that's no refills and water's included. We all stuck with soup and it wasn't bad. I had won ton soup, along with Kristen, and I still wonder why I eat oriental food in foreign (non-oriental) places.
Anywho, after lunch, we returned to the apartment, met our third roommate Samantha and her mother, and unpacked. Orientation was at 3, where we received multiple guides, maps, papers and such, insurance cards, CUBC pass cards and, most importantly, cell phones.
I have to say that I'm addicted to my CrackBerry, and it was hard to let it go. But now I have another phone to learn. Back to the old keypad for texts, no fun scrolly balls and definitely no internet connection. But we programmed in all the phone numbers so we could call each other, and then my roommates and I went to the grocery store. We got enough food to feed ourselves for a bit. Foreign grocery stores will be a topic for a future post, just because they are so interesting and so different from what we expect back home.
We then headed out to dinner with the group. Kristen fell asleep multiple times at the table, and I wanted to do the same. We headed home, where I finished unpacking, called my mom, made my bed and logged on to a whole bunch of emails and a blog to be written. So this is what I wrote. As far as I'm concerned, you can read it or not, but it's a recounting each day so I don't forget, and to let those who are interested know what I've been up to. Sometimes I'll be funny, or sarcastic, or intelligent, and sometimes I'll write like I did today and just lay out the facts. I'm blaming my poor writing for today on my exhaustion, seeing as I'm working on being up for 36+ hours straight.
So far I enjoy the city, hate the cold and snow no longer holds interest for me... Even though we're supposed to get 10 inches tomorrow... After walking across town and back 4 times today, I'm ready for a nice, warm 50 degree day =]
So goodnight. I do so hope I don't freeze.
Sounds like a lot of adjusting. Wait until you figure out that the sun doesn't come up until 9.
ReplyDeleteBe safe, have fun.
Dad
Momma really likes your blog. I do too. We think that they're entertaining and easy to read.
ReplyDeleteDad
Well.... I wasn't awake until 1 PM today to tell. But it does get dark at about 5. Going to write new post in a few. <3
ReplyDelete