Friday, January 17, 2014

Shabbat Shalom!

Today is Friday, which means that everything closed about 2PM today. I woke up at noon, which didn't actually leave that much time to do much. The apartment needed cleaning, so I did that, and then went on a search for milk before getting ready for services. I finally found some at a 24/7 store - it's sort of like a gas station food mart.

So I searched the internet and found a synagogue for Progressive Judaism (or the Reform movement), that's only about 35 minutes away, walking. I posted in the Facebook group to invite other people, and Michele came with me. It was a nice temple, and the people were welcoming. The sanctuary was gorgeous.


Services were in Hebrew (obviously), and for the most part, I could follow along. The two biggest problems were that the cantor chanted INCREDIBLY fast and there were lots of extra versions. Like, I know my prayers, but I can't say them that quickly, and I'm used to saying each prayer once, not three times.  The order was a little off, as well, but not too terrible to figure out.  My goal is that, by the end of my time here, I will be able to understand the sermon and will be able to keep up with and read all the prayers.

Now it's bed time and tomorrow we'll hang out at the beach. The first round of pictures is on Facebook, so go check them out!

Lilah tov!

No comments:

Post a Comment