So... This week was sorta busy, sorta not. I've been incredibly homesick and am certainly ready to travel to Bangkok next week.
We were both busy late on Tuesday, so we went out on Thursday night to an Italian place on the other side of town (well, in the middle of the country). It was an interesting bus ride (about an hour) and we passed some buildings we think were jails, but we don't know and Google maps doesn't even have the buildings showing.
Dinner was delicious. Gabe had squid ink linguine with tomato-based seafood sauce, and I had shell pasta with a tomato-and-cream-based mushroom and sausage sauce. Both were delicious. I even had a glass of wine... And learned I need to go wine-tasting to figure out if there's any I actually like very much. The best part of dinner was actually our appetizer - prosciutto and cantaloupe, which was amazing.
We had arrived too early to eat, so we walked up and down the strip mall before dinner, and found a pet store - mostly catered to cats, hamsters and turtles. After dinner, we stopped at a strudel place and got a small apple strudel to go. We were too full to eat it that night, so we saved it for Friday.
On Friday, we went to Chinatown to pick up our tickets to Bangkok, and then had lunch at the mall on the way back. Gabe got a delicious pepper rice and I got hotstone pepper steak. Both are dishes served on hotplates that continue to cook the food even when it's served. You get raw food, and then it cooks while you mix it up and pour sauces on it, and then it's delicious to eat.
We got back and watched a movie and then had cheesy tomato toast and some Asti Spumante (it was on sale) and our apple strudel with ice cream for our second night of Valentine's. It was all good, but the strudel had collapsed from the humidity in our apartment.
Saturday we got up at a reasonable time and headed over to Arab street. They had tailors galore, Persian rugs by the hundreds and some really good Mediterranean, Turkish and Arab food. We ended up at a little cafe, and Gabe and I shared a falafel sandwich and a schwarma wrap. Both were delicious. I also got some silk fabric to make scarves for my sisters and we generally had a nice time. Before we left, we went to another restaurant and ordered a Turkish coffee and baklava. I got a soda called Laziza Raspberry. Gabe's coffee was good, the soda was literally non-alcoholic raspberry beer, and I've had better baklava at home. It was a nice day, though.
We walked over to Little India to go to Mustafa's for some stuff that we needed, and on the way saw probably the only not-nice part of Singapore. It wasn't bad, just dirtier, and we easily compared it to Jakarta. There was even a street market that Gabe compared to "a real-life eBay." We did make it to Mustafa's, and we spent almost three hours walking around. And we didn't even see everything, still!
We went up to the roof and had a snack (dosais and drinks - I got a DELICIOUS masala (chai) tea and Gabe had a sweet lassi that tasted exactly like yogurt) before coming home. It was a fun adventure.
Today we just studied. We have midterms all week, but then we leave next Sunday for Bangkok! I'm also getting my hair permed on Tuesday, so wish me luck!
Goodnight-lah.
No comments:
Post a Comment